Haredi Fashion Photography

Share Button
haredi-fashion-short-skirt

Photo by Shprintzi Friedman via Ynet

Ynet has an article about the newest trend in fashion photography: Haredi models and styles. The article contains a video interview with the first professional haredi fashion photographer, Shprintzi Friedman.

I was struck by the length of the skirt worn in the right-hand photo. Since when does “haredi fashion” include short skirts?

The pictures are meant for catalogues since haredi magazines, even those aimed at women, don’t print photos of women.

tzniut-fashion-photography

Photo by Shprintzi Friedman via Ynet

Hat tip: Rafi of Life in Israel

Short-Skirt Wearers Threatened in Bnei Brak

Haredi Women Adviseded to Sit on Separate Bench from Immodestly Dressed Women

Burkas: The New Fashion

Share Button
Enjoyed this post? Sign up to get new articles right to your inbox.

Comments

1. truthfully, the one on the right may cover everything, but it doesn’t look all that modest. Modesty isn’t just about covering as much skin as possible.
    LeahGG recently posted..Confessions of a Marching MouseMy Profile

2. Not one of these pictures shows the Charedi mode of dress in any way. Almost all of them are reminiscent of the “Hot Chanie” mode of dress!

3. Not religious posture nor poses.

4. I think the short dress has a longer, narrow skirt underneath, but it’s hard to tell.

In my (American) neighborhood which is mostly yeshivish (American chareidi), short skirts are very common, although they’re often worn with long sheitels. They’re also usually worn with opaque tights, but tonight I saw a woman, older than her twenties, wearing an above-knee skirt with sheer stockings (and a sheitel). Wow.

(Not that I pass judgment on people who wear short skirts – but the atmosphere of the community is very yeshivish. I’m surprised that this is so common).

5. Nurse Yachne says:

I agree–this is Hot Chani territory. Explain to me again why sharwallim and tunics are such a bad, bad idea, while tight skirts are “better”…My Right Brain hurts.

6. You’d be shocked at how short the skirts are in Bnei Brak, and how form fitting everything is.

Unless they’re supposed to be worn under a shawl or burka…
    Devo K recently posted..Artists 4 IsraelMy Profile

7. I don’t know of this would be called chareidi for some reason I associate chareidi with more modest less stylish clothing, but hey what do I know. I also wouldn’t call this “hot Chanie” becasue I know that you people are talking about us Lubavitch women, and honestly lubuvs have even more style than this , more unique , funkier, looks, I think this is modern yeshivish, or I don’t know I just made that category up. I would like to point out that the short dress you are all referring to has a black skirt underneath called a French tube skirt to add length to short dresses.
    Sheva recently posted..A beautiful giveaway just for you!My Profile

Trackbacks

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Hannah Katsman, FFI. FFI said: RT @mominisrael: Haredi Fashion Photography http://bit.ly/h8znCr via @mominisrael [...]

2. [...] Haredi fashion is in the news again,  this time with a story about Bnei Brak fashion designer and stylist Miri Beilin. Fashion blogger Simona Kogan responded to the story about haredi fashion photography. [...]

3. [...] Haredi Fashion Photography [...]