In honor of Shavuot, enjoy this video The Land of the Seven Species sung by Chani Livneh. See the Hebrew lyrics here.
And now for the links:
- Parent Network interviewed me in honor of Mother’s Day. When they asked for advice for new parents, I said that moms should breastfeed until age six. Just kidding! See my real answers over at Parent Network.
- TheKitchn.com also interviewed me, for a story about cooking with physical disabilities. I posted the email interview at Cooking Manager.
- A woman identified as Chaya wrote an article called, What Women’s Media Needs to Know about Chassidic Women. It generated many critical responses, including Dear Chaya by Rabbi Fink and by Deborah Feldman, author of a memoir on leaving the Satmar community. Rabbi Fink was in turn criticized for taking a condescending tone toward baalei teshuvah (religious returnees), as if their opinions don’t count. You can find more discussion in the comments at Frum Satire.
- I liked this post about how to disagree on the internet. It explains how the internet appears to make people more argumentative and gives tips for honest discussion.
- Check out the Sivan Kosher Cooking Carnival at Ilana Davita’s blog. Here are a few more Shavuot recipes: 7-Minute Low-Fat Microwave Cheesecake, Blintzes, and Lasagna with Homemade Pasta. We’ll be making all three.
- Over here we pretty much ignored the “Asifa” at Citifield protesting the internet, but I enjoyed this account by the only woman who attended: “‘Maybe you shouldn’t talk to anyone,’ my editor had cautioned that morning as I was preparing to infiltrate the men-only rally. ‘You definitely have the voice of a 100-pound girl,’ my boyfriend said.”
- I’ve been neglecting the fashion scene, but a few articles have mentioned how modesty has become chic this season.
- Finally, Israel has opened up the cellular market for a drastic drop in prices. You can figure out the best deal using the No Fryers calculator. Unfortunately, many of the country’s pension funds have lost value as the cellular companies’ stocks dropped in price.
- Quick question: What learning opportunities are there for women in your neighborhood on Shavuot? Will you be attending?
Hag sameach–a happy Shavuot to all celebrating.